I'm trying to quip

My package went to Nanjing, but I'm in Beijing; that's the complete opposite Jing.

For it to be funny in English, the reader would have to know that 京 in Nanjing 南京 and Beijing 北京 is the same, and the joke is a play on how 南 and 北 are opposites.

Here's my attempt at writing it, which is a fairly literal translation:

我的快递发到了南京,但是我在北京。那儿是完全相反的“京”。

It's meant to be a joke. However, I'm uncomfortable with the atypical grammar here. I'm not sure it's even possible to express this in Chinese.

Question: Is it possible to quip "My package went to Nanjing, but I'm in Beijing; that's the complete opposite Jing"?

• 这让我想起一名专门翻译国家文稿的翻译员讲过的一些翻译难点,其中就有一句毛主席说过的,"(大概讲的是革命的必然性)就算没有我毛泽东,也还坐有毛泽西。"这个就特别难翻译。当然,他也没讲具体是怎么翻译的。 – Zhang Nov 21 at 2:25

In speech, you can say: 我人在'北'京,快递却发到了'南'京.

It would add some joking effect when you put a bit emphasis on 北 and 南.

You don't have to say they are opposite literally. Your audience would seize that from your tone, which is the whole point of the joke.

我的包裹发到了南京,但是我人在北京,一个完全相反的「京」!
我的包裹发到了南京,但是我人在北京,怎么没发到东京?
我人在北京,但是我的包裹却偏偏背道而驰,跑到南京去了!
我人在北京,但是我的包裹却和我渐行渐远,往南京去了!

I like the second one: 我的包裹发到了南京,但是我人在北京,怎么没发到东京? – sylvia Nov 19 at 15:08
  • @Sylvia While this is funny, you will be surprised on how many Staffs taking the joke seriously with your package actually ends up in Tokyo – Alex Nov 19 at 17:38
  • @Alex right, it depends on the context whether to use it or not... – sylvia Nov 19 at 17:50
  • @sylvia Sorry, I missed a in the first sentence. – 賈可 Jacky Nov 20 at 2:18
  • @Alex Sorry, I missed a in the first sentence. – 賈可 Jacky Nov 20 at 2:18

Your translation is accurate, but the point is that the original joke isn't funny, thus making the translation strange.

Advice 1:

Better not state both 北京 & 南京.

快递投给了南京,跟我在的京城反了个边。

Advice 2:

Better not play on 南 & 北.

我人在北京,快递给发了南京,真是中南海的文件发了总统府。

My package went to Nanjing, but I'm in Beijing; that's the complete opposite Jing.
我的包裹去了南京,但我在北京,这是两个完全反方向的京!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.