Is this a correct translation? Emphasis on being colloquial - the tone similar to Eminem's "Y'all act like you never seen a white person before"

What, you look like you've never seen a Chinese girl speak English before! 您真的没看到中国女孩说英语吗?

您真的没看到中国女孩说英语吗?
What, you look like you've never seen a Chinese girl speak English before!

It needs a 过

As dan and Tang Ho indicate, it's missing a 过. See Expressing experiences with "guo":

The aspect particle 过 (guo) is used to indicate that an action has been experienced in the past.

Compare:

他没看到我。 He doesn't see me. [perhaps present tense, e.g., 他 could refer to a taxi driver who doesn't see you]

他没看到我。 He has never seen me. [past tense = 去式 in Chinese]

See Result complement for more about 没看到. There's also a related question here: What is the difference between 看到 and 看过?

Other issues:

After adding in the 过, the Chinese and the given English translation don't match:

您真的没看到中国女孩说英语吗?
You really have never seen [a] Chinese girl speak English?

In particular:

• The given Chinese sentence does not imply "you look like". To this end, we need some combination of 看起来 = "appear" and 好像 = "as if" or 就像 (there's other possibilities like 似乎). But this seems wordy in both Chinese and English.

• I feel like there's a mismatch between (nín), the polite form of "you" and the informal tone of the rhetorical question. Indeed, by using 您 it sounds like you're asking a serious question.

• There's no equivalent to "never" in the Chinese. It could be included with 从来没 or 从未. I think 从来 is first encountered when learning Chinese, however.

• In this context, I don't see a big distinction between 没看过 and 没看到过 here, or even 没看见过. (There's some websites which discuss 看 vs. 看到 and 看 vs. 看见, which seems to indicate all three are okay.)

• There is no "What" in the translation. Literally it's 什么, but I'd instead suggest as a grunt of surprise.

• The Chinese is a question, whereas the English is not.

Rhetorical questions using 难道

A nice way to phrase rhetorical questions is with 难道 which means something like "don't tell me that ...", which takes a bit of getting used to. See Rhetorical questions with "nandao".

嗯,你难道从来没看过中国女孩说英语吗?
Oh! Have you never seen [a] Chinese girl speak English?

I think this captures the spirit of the question well, i.e., expressing surprise and disbelief.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Hi Becky, what would be a more colloquial way of saying this? The tone being more like Eminem "Y'all act like you never seen a white person before" – ina Nov 27 '19 at 23:37
  • That’s beyond anything I could answer. Perhaps ask another question. – Becky 李蓓 Nov 28 '19 at 0:28

you look like you've never seen a Chinese girl speak English before! // 您真的没看到中国女孩说英语吗

• hi! do you think that it should omit the dao? 您真的没看过中国女孩说英语吗 – ina Nov 27 '19 at 23:42
  • @ina Yes, you can. But 到 adds a bit emphasis. – dan Nov 28 '19 at 0:05

"What, you look like you [have never seen] a Chinese girl speak English before! "

"什麼?你看起來就像你[從未看見過]中國女孩說英語似的"

"什麼?你看起來就像你[從未見過]中國女孩說英語似的"

"起" in "看起來" and the second "你" can be omitted; "没" can replace "未" ; "看到" can replace "看見"

What, you look like you've never seen a Chinese girl speak English before!

不是, 你这就像从来没见过中国女生说英语一样! [or 你是从没见过中国女生说英语么!?]

"过" is necessary since we used "have seen". So the answer to the title is: no, not good enough.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.