This Artist I am Researching may be from the Ming Dynasty. I Possibly own a Painting by Him and need to more understand the meaning of his Full Name. His Full Name is: "SHIQUAN HE LIAN" and His "Red Seal Stamp" has been Translated to read: "SHIQUAN HE". I need to further understand out of His full Name and Red Seal Stamp what part of His Name would be His Family Name? His Given Name? courtesy Name? Style Name Art Name? Etc. Any Information would be Highly Appriciated! Thank You! Gary K

• Does this answer your question? Chinese Poem And Seal Translation Needed – dROOOze Dec 8 '19 at 6:33
  • Hi Droooze! Yes that is the Painting and Info. I received at that time. And yes I do know that "He Lian" would (Possibly) be His "Surname" and "Given Name". The First Name "Shiquan" which was interpreted for me by I. Nagi to mean "Stone River" I really need to know if its His "Style Name" or what it would be. I feel it is not the Name of His "Ancestral Home" but maybe a Name He gave Himself? Also the "Red Seal Stamp" I. Nagi Interpreted as saying "Shiquan He" ... What is that? Is it His Artists "Courtesy Name"? These are the Main Questions I need Answered. Thanks! – Gary Knudtzon Dec 8 '19 at 23:06
  • you can ask the person who answered your other question for clarification so they can update the answer – dROOOze Dec 8 '19 at 23:11
  • He gave me lots of great Info. that I was grateful for but I feel strongly that the name "SHIQUAN" is not a "Ancestral Home" name as he supposed. Am I right to suppose that "SHIQUAN" is the Artists "Style or Alias" Name? "HE LIAN" is His "Surname and Given Name" if I am saying it right? And the "Seal" - "SHIQUAN HE" is His Artist Name or Courtesy Name? Please Help me here - Thanks! Gary K – Gary Knudtzon Dec 9 '19 at 6:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.