I and my friends disagree on what 周末 means. And to summarize all opinions, is it

• 周五, 周末 was used to describe 周六 when 周六 is workday (last workday in a week). And since 周六 is no longer a workday, we call 周五 as 周末
  • 周六, 周末 means 周六. Typically the last column on (most) calendars.
  • 周日, 周末 literally means the ending (last day) of a week, which should be 周日
  • 周六 and 周日, 周末 is opposite of workdays, which should be both 周六 and 周日

Which one is more acceptable / correct?

周末 literally means "weekend," and in modern China, it usually refers to "Saturday and Sunday."

| improve this answer | |
  • If we consider 周末 has same meaning as Weekend, means last day of a week, shouldn't it be only Saturday? – tsh Dec 30 '19 at 9:22
  • @tsh In China, the last day of the week is usually Sunday. – fefe Dec 30 '19 at 9:26
  • @fefe And that would be "only Sunday". Still not "both Sat. and Sun". – tsh Dec 30 '19 at 9:36

It is usually Saturday and Sunday.

It used to be only Sunday, the last day of week in China, which happened to be the only day in the week which is not a workday.

But as workdays changed from 6 days to 5 days in a week, 周末 now usually refers to the Saturday and Sunday.

ref: 汉典 give this definition for 周末:

原指星期六下班后到星期天晚,实行五天工作制后,指每周的最后两天

I'm not really understanding any of your theorized possibilities but I have one thing that might help add to your logic.

I've seen conversations that go something like:

A: 我们周末生意比较好。
B: 那就是星期五晚上跟星期六晚上哈?
A: 诶,对,就是。

In this context the "weekend" (周末) became the nights before a typical weekend of Saturday and Sunday, this is assumedly because people need to get up Monday morning so going out on a Sunday night is not viable and is thus stricken from the weekend. It's almost Jewish in a way.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.