I spotted this at the 物美 supermarket on 四道口 in Beijing.

(Imgur version.)

Question: What is a "functional drink" 机能饮料?

The translation seems close to correct:

My best guess is that it's a drink suitable for a "function", e.g., a wedding banquet. But I don't think 机能 has that meaning (it'd be 活动 = "activity").

• That "function" means mechanical or physiological function, not an event function. Did you get anything on the label at the back? Maybe it gives a story of where the name comes from? – dROOOze Jan 26 at 12:54
  • I didn't look at the back, but I expect it's just plain black. There were signs like this on other isles, but they made sense [but I forget what they say now]. – Becky 李蓓 Jan 26 at 12:56

More commonly known as 機能性飲料, these kinds of "fad" drinks are sold to convey a kind of health benefit, commonly advertised as increasing organ (heart, pancreas, eyes, ...) function. Think herbal or vitamin drinks.

Ah okay thanks. I think you've got it (basically it has a function in addition to being a drink)---I found a 机能性饮品 on JD which seems to be that sort of thing. (I'm out of upvotes for today; I'll have to fix that tomorrow.) I guess the champagne in the photo is a red herring. – Becky 李蓓 Jan 26 at 13:10
  • @Becky李蓓 thank you - you've been very generous to the community with your upvotes (and question/answer reviews) lately! – dROOOze Jan 26 at 13:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.