This sign has been at the entrance to a ski trail. I've been wondering what it might mean for the past couple years. thanks for anyone able to translate.

sign on tree

• The sign is in Chinese only. Why no English version of it? Can it be possible that only Chinese, and no other people bothering the land owner? – Tang Ho Feb 10 at 3:01
  • There is a sign in English stating that there is no walking on ski trails in the winter. I don't think the "no picking plants" part is listed in English. – Andrew Clarke Feb 10 at 17:10

These "what does this say?" are a bit borderline for this site (they're not really about learning Chinese), and why I started the post How do I self-answer “What does this say?”.

Anyway, since I've read it already, and it's probably not that easy to use other methods...

这是私人领地。
This is private property

请不要摘蘑菇,野韭菜或任何其他植物。否则你将会遭到检控,因为这是非法的。
Please do not pick mushrooms, wild chives (?), or other plants, otherwise you will meet with prosecution, because this is illegal.

欢迎你在郊野小径散步,但地面上有雪的话,请不要入内(11月15日至4月15日禁止通行),谢谢。
[You are] welcome to walk on the countryside alley, but if the ground has snow, please do not enter (from 15-th November to 15-th April going through is prohibited), thank you.

| improve this answer | |
  • Minor correction, 野 should be interpreted as wild (undomesticated, uncultivated), e.g. wild mushrooms. – dROOOze Feb 10 at 1:54
  • I made the corresponding edit. I'm still not clear precisely what 野韭菜 is: I think that requires local knowledge. – Becky 李蓓 Feb 10 at 1:59
  • @Becky李蓓 it isn’t an accurate translation of what the writer actually wanted to say; the writer probably isn’t a Native Chinese speaker and just directly translated the plant’s colloquial English name into Chinese – Axel Tong Feb 10 at 2:04
  • 韭菜, (Jiǔcài), in Cantonese (gau2 coi3), is a common vegetable known as garlic chives. It is a grass-like plant, usually chopped up and cooked in an omelette, which I hated to eat, (the chives I mean), when I was young because it looked and taste like grass, (while playing school sports I've got grass in my mouth, sometime) It is also found in certain type of meat dumplings, you know, the little flecks of green stuff in the minced meat? Since "mainland Chinese" like such greens, then perhaps it is not surprising that this particular green is singled out in the notice, out of other 植物. – Wayne Cheah Feb 10 at 4:56
  • Thank you for your answer. I'd looked around for automated options before posting but for some reason didn't consider OCR. I saw other translation requests on stackxchange so decided to go for it. – Andrew Clarke Feb 10 at 17:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.