In my writing, my teacher suggested I use 感激之心. I didn't find 感激之心 in CC-EDICT, although there is

感激 感激 [gan3 ji1] /to be grateful/to appreciate/thankful/

It seems reasonable to create a definition for it (there are comparable definitions for 恻隐之心 and 赤子之心), and 感激 is a verb whereas 感激之心 is a noun. It means something like "gratitude" or "appreciation", but let's give this a peer review.

Proposed definition:

感激之心 感激之心 [gan3 ji1 zhi1 xin1] /gratitude/appreciation/

Question: Is this a suitable CC-EDICT definition for 感激之心?

CC-EDICT definitions are high-quality: they are proofread and edited prior to being added; ideally we can minimize this editorial work.

They have the form

[traditional Chinese] [simplified Chinese] [pinyin] [definitions, separated by '/']

"感激之心" literally is "the heart that is grateful/appreciated/thankful". And I think it should be kept that way, which is a phrase not a word. Its meaning can be derive from words in the phrase easily. I don't think it should have its own entry.

"恻隐之心" has its own entry, probably because "恻隐" is seldom used alone now. "恻隐之心" has become a set phrase, or a word.

"赤子之心" is different, it means "the heart of ...", and it has its own figurative meaning which is different from that of "赤子". So it got its own entry.

| improve this answer | |

Wouldn't that be 感激之情?

小明帮小红修好了她的自行车后,小红对小明充满了感激之情。

| improve this answer | |
  • My personal view is that 感激之心 has a wider more general application, whereas 感激之情 is more personal and thus a narrower application。 – Wayne Cheah Mar 27 at 11:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.