Can anyone tell me the glyph origins for 倒 ? I searched for it in one of the books but I couldn't find anything.

「倒」 (Mandarin: dǎo, dào; to collapse/fall over, upside-down/inverted) is comprised of semantic 「人・亻」 (person, "person falling over") and phonetic 「到」 (dào).

From here:

Character decomposition 字形分解 [?]:
Compound 倒
from person-left-ren 亻人 rén and
phonetic arrive-dao 到 dào.

Compound 到
from arrow-arrive-zhi 至 zhì and
phonetic knife-dao 刂刀 dāo.

Component 至
from arrow-shi 矢 shǐ and
(rem+ 一 yī ground). (name- arrow-arrive-zhi 至 zhì)

I have also read that 至 represents a bird swooping down to the ground. I'm sure our Chinese friends here have a very accurate etymology!

They say that 到 is just phonetic, but in 人 alone there is no sense of 'down'. I think some meaning of ‘down’ must derive from 至。

Ever noticed how 倒 sounds like 'down'? But down comes from Old English dun (= hill, rhymes with moon), which is exactly how the Scottish say 'down'!

I love to look for language links!

• "They say that 到 is just phonetic, but in 人 alone there is no sense of 'down'. I think some meaning of ‘down’ must derive from 至。" - A semantic component rarely carries the full meaning of a character - usually it's just a hint as to its full meaning. For example, 运 doesn't mean walk, even though its semantic component is 走之旁. Meanwhile, it would be very rare for a part of the meaning to come from a part of the phonetic component. – Lionel Rowe Jul 20 '20 at 21:10

enter image description here

倒 == 亻+ 到 == 亻+ 至 + 刂 (morphed from 人), two human going backwards against each other

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.