I found a novel on my Kindle (喜欢你,我也是) which seem like a teenage romance, and seems fairly readable and interesting. I'm at the start, and thus far Zhang Kankan 张侃侃 and seems to have been tricked into a blind date with Tan Jin (thinking she's there to 补习); they're both teachers. Currently, Tan Jin seems to be confusing her.

It has the line:

“哦?”谈晋倏忽之间勾了下嘴角,“金主让你做什么就做什么,是这个意思吗?”
喜欢你,我也是

I don't understand the part in bold. (It seems Tan Jin is also confusing me.)

"Oh?" Tan Jin suddenly (?) [倏忽之间] hooked the corners of his mouth (?) [勾了下嘴角], "Bankroller makes you do something, you do it, is this the meaning?"

Question: What does 谈晋倏忽之间勾了下嘴角 mean?

• "倏忽之间" means "in a very short time" or "in the twinkling of an eye". – dan Mar 2 at 3:36

哦?”谈晋倏忽之间勾了下嘴角,“金主让你做什么就做什么,是这个意思吗?”

倏忽之间: suddenly

For 勾了下嘴角 you could perhaps write: 轻蔑 or 冷笑

谈晋倏忽之间勾了下嘴角,
Tan Jin suddenly snarled,

“金主让你做什么就做什么,是这个意思吗?
"If the boss wants you to do then do it, is that what you mean?"

You could replace 倏忽之间勾了下嘴角 with either: 冷笑道 or 轻蔑地说道

谈晋冷笑道, : Tan Jin, with a sarcastic smile, said,
谈晋轻蔑地说道,Tan Jin disdainfully spoke,

| improve this answer | |

勾了下嘴角 = it's just a literary expression to describe a facial expression when the speaker is about to say something sarcastic or something emotional, like in the sentence in question, “哦?谈晋倏忽之间勾了下嘴角..." = "Oh?, Tan Jin momentarily lifted the corner of his mouth..."

It's like the "raised eyebrow" while speaking indicating surprise or disapproval.

倏忽之间 = 快速地

it is literary way to say "just in a second" 勾嘴角 is just a face expression.

you need contexts to know why he did that.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.