Is there an equivalent of the literary device known as a "non-sequitur" in English, or at least some kind of translation of it? This is not to be confused with the non-sequitur logical fallacy (where one logical argument does not follow another).

From Wiktionary:

non sequitur

A kind of pun that uses a change of word, subject, or meaning to make a joke of the listener’s expectation.

“A fool and his money are soon partying.” (Steven Wright)

(Expected word: parting)

How about giving an example of a literary device known as a "non-sequitur" in English to differentiate it from the non-sequitur logical fallacy (where one logical argument does not follow another)? TQ – Wayne Cheah Mar 5 at 4:19
    There's now 5 answers, and I still have no idea what a literary non-sequitur is. The incoming answers seem to ignore the "not to be confused with the non-sequitur logical fallacy" part of the question. I think it's fair to say the question is unclear. – Becky 李蓓 Mar 6 at 6:38
  • Please amend your answers, everyone. Plenty of examples of this are found in traditional dialogue in the literary arts, exemplified in the PRC Chinese New Year Gala. – dROOOze Mar 6 at 12:00
  • I've deleted my "answer" while waiting for clarification as per my earlier comment. – Wayne Cheah Mar 6 at 12:26
  • To be fair, I didn't find this question unclear in the slightest. Questions asked on this site are often met with a lot of 答非所问 answers. I have even frequently seen answers that don't even being to answer the actual question asked upvoted above answers that actually address the question. Becky says that people are "ignore"[ing] sections of the question and I believe that is really the true issue. – Mo. Mar 6 at 12:37

不当的推论

超现实幽默

条目“不当的推论”尚未创建,可参考英语维基百科的对应页面:Non sequitur (literary device)。

| improve this answer | |

Nah, non sequitur means a statement that does not have any connection with what was said before. Common practice is to explain its meaning: 未根据前提的推理;与前述无关的推论 etc. It looks like that nobody seriously translates it.

Let me have a try: 不因之论;所论不因

因,顺、承、连接也。So 不因之论 literally means: a statement that dosen't follow (what was said before)

If I use traditional Chinese to write this I will write 語無倫次. It means someone speaks without conventional logic. For example: 他喝醉酒後講話語無倫次。

How about:

驴唇不对马嘴: incongruous

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.