I was scrolling through BabelStone's PUA page when I came across the following:

enter image description here

For evidential purposes they also link the following picture:

enter image description here

Unlike some entries on the chart there is no romanizaion for these two characters. Seeing "甴" makes me think it might be read something like "zou"/奏, but I really have no idea.

How is "⿰甴曱 ⿰曱甴" read?

See https://read01.com/zh-hk/4DDkPPQ.html:

當詢問老闆,這個麵館為什麼要把店名取為「曱甴 (sic) 曱甴 面 館」時,老闆說這兩個字讀「Ga ga」,就是當地方言「肉」的意思。

通過公開資料顯示,老闆提到的「gǎ gǎ」實為「朒朒」。

Either the store owner made it up, or it's a very localised usage of those characters. The pronunciation is 「嘎嘎」 (「朒」 is a variant of 「嘎」), which is a colloquial Sichuanese word for meat.

| improve this answer | |
    Funnily enough 曱 does seem to be read ga in Chaozhou, Min'nan & Fuzhou. Sometimes 嘎 is use as an alternative for 曱, in Mandarin, as well. It would be interesting to see if there was some sort of influence from 湖广填川, perhaps where cockroach was the only source of meat for some locales. – user3306356 Apr 1 at 11:13
  • What do you mean by "an alternative for 曱 in Mandarin"? I don't have many topolect resources =(, and from my limited search 曱 only appears in Cantonese. The etymological root of Cantonese 曱甴 appears to be 虼蚻 in the Min topolects. – dROOOze Apr 1 at 15:32
  • amandahsu1118.pixnet.net/blog/post/337048004 是真的「嘎抓」(蟑螂). ②zhihu.com/question/48020650 【甴曱】这两个字是广州蟑螂的粤语写法,普通话最接近的读音是“嘎砸”。 – user3306356 Apr 1 at 17:03

甴 means "cockroach" in Cantonese. It is read as /zha2/ in Mandarin

曱 also means "cockroach" in Cantonese, It is read as /ya1/ in Mandarin

(曱 and 甴 used only in combined form 曱甴.)

曱甴

jyutping: gaat6 zaat6*2

pinyin: yue1 zha2

cockroach | Mand.: 蟑螂

Since I am Cantonese, I read 曱甴 as /gaat6 zaat6*2/. But I have never heard of "甴曱"

My guess is "曱甴 甴曱" is a type of noodle shaped like cockroach in Guiyan

| improve this answer | |
  • The (claimed) noodle name isn't 曱甴 甴曱 (which is 4 characters long), it's just two characters (each of which combines 曱 and 甴 into a single character). So it's still not clear what the pronunciations of these weird characters is, or is meant to be. – Stumpy Joe Pete Mar 31 at 23:20
    Yeah, "⿰甴曱" is one character & "⿰曱甴" is another. – user3306356 Mar 31 at 23:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.