My textbook has this sentence.

我这个“老外”这么喜欢看京剧,老师当然感到很惊讶。

I notice it has a a bit different structure.

我这个“老外”这么喜欢看京剧 = I,a foreigner, really like watch Peking Opera = Subject + Subject description + Do something.

So can I make any statements with this structure?

E.g: 我妹妹,一个漂亮的女孩,很喜欢买衣服。 他爸爸,一个老师,教我学书法。

Yes, Subject + Subject description + Do something is understandable to me.

And if you could use some conjunctions based on the scenario, then the sentence would be more beautiful.

For example, His father, a P.E teacher, but teaches me for handwriting. 他爸爸,一位体育老师,但是却能教我书法。

Hope it helps :)

You can. And people can understand what you me. When I read from left to right 我妹妹,一個漂亮的女孩 I can understand 一個漂亮的女孩 is used to describe 我妹妹 since the context and only , between them.

I think if you want to make it more clear, you can use 是個 or 是一個 to substitute 一個 because it help to link them together. 是 is used to denote things that is other things. So A is B in traditional Chinese is A是B. So you use 是 or 是一個 can help to link 我妹妹 with 漂亮的女孩 and 他爸爸 with 一個老師 together.

• My full sentence is 我妹妹,一个漂亮的女孩,很喜欢买衣服。So, if I add 是 between 我妹妹 and 一个漂亮的女孩, it would be a new sentence. Of course, the predicate 很喜欢买衣服 may be separated (from my initial sentence) into a new one. It becomes: 我妹妹 是 一个漂亮的女孩. 她 很喜欢买衣服. Do I understand in a correct way? – Jenny Apr 1 '20 at 14:46
  • I think both of 我妹妹 是一個漂亮的女孩 很喜歡買衣服 and 我妹妹 是一個漂亮的女孩 她很喜歡買衣服 are ok. Because I can interpret both of them as same meaning, since 她 means 我妹妹. And if I don't add 她. 很喜歡買衣服 is used to describe 我妹妹 too. So I think both of add 她 or not add 她 is ok in this situation. – 000 Apr 1 '20 at 14:54
  • Thanks. I know in terms of speaking, you can understand the meaning. However, in the exam, is this sentence grammatically correct? – Jenny Apr 1 '20 at 15:00
  • I really don't know whether or not it is grammatically correct because I don't know their standard to determine whether or not it is right. – 000 Apr 1 '20 at 15:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.