Consider the character 您

My dictionary says that the 6th stroke is 撇 whereas the 8th stroke is 点.

Is there a difference between how these strokes are written ?

I mean the short 撇 in 你 and the left falling 点 in 心.

They look identical to me.

• The Eight Principles of Yong explain how to write eight common strokes in regular script
    – jack chiou
    Apr 5 '20 at 6:23
  • You need to see it written with a calligraphy brush, which was how all Chinese characters were written originally. Normal computer graphical styles do not make such detail differences. Apr 5 '20 at 6:34
  • There's a YouTube video which confirms the claim. (They look identical to me too.)
    – Becky 李蓓
    Apr 5 '20 at 7:07
  • Take a look at this. It's only about 11 minutes long. It's worth your while. youtu.be/wM4BuhTFxho Apr 5 '20 at 9:45

I got my answer.

Both the left-falling dian and the short pie look identical when not using a brush.

Both are drawn from top to bottom.

The difference is where the sharp end and the rounded end are.

Dian: Start with a sharp end and draw down finishing with a rounded end. Like a drop of water.

Pie: Start by drawing a rounded end at the top and then work down finishing with a sharp end going down. Like the drop of water upside-down.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.