I've seen that in Beijing Mandarin f can be pronounced as something of a final consonant when in an unstressed syllable, e.g. 豆腐 dòu fǔ = dòuff.

However, in other cases it disappears in unstressed syllables. One example is that in Beijing dialect 王府井 is pronounced as " 王五井", Wáng wǔjǐng becomes wángfǔ jǐng ( http://www.360doc.com/content/18/0123/07/1260016_724326694.shtml ).

Is this because of some kind of tone rules? Both of the "fu"s are third tones in these examples. Are there cases where both the f and the final of that syllable are pronounced in colloquial speech?

I think the article you linked has introduced clearly. This happens in some dialect. Beijing dialect in this example. The 2nd character in 3 characters word is read short (and not much clearly). So speaker may read the word faster. It's nothing to do with f. This happens in many 3 characters words if the word is common enough. And, I don't think there is a rule to tell which words should be read like this. – tsh Apr 7 at 9:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.