I have two question involving 得. Please help me out.

1. I wonder if separable verbs (verb + object) can be with 得 without repeating the first verb. For example,

她吃饭吃得很多。or 她饭吃得很多。

Because 吃饭 is a separable verb, so can I say: 她吃饭得很多 ?

1. In YES/NO question with 得, are degree adverbs needed?

A: 你今天起得很早/早吗?

Thank you so much!

1.can I say: 她吃饭得很多?

No, If you use 得 with separable verb, you have to either 1. Repeat the first part of the separable verb, e.g. 她吃饭吃得很多.(meaning she can eat a lot rice) 2. put 得 between the separable verb. e.g. "她吃得饭多" (meaning she ate a lot of rice or she eat rice very often)

"她饭吃得很多" has no separable verb (the only verb is 吃; 饭 is the object

More Example:

讀書,唱歌,喝酒 are all separable verbs

她讀得書多,所以不怕找不到工作 (得 is inserted between the verb and object part of 讀書)

她唱得歌多,聲音也變得好聽了 (得 is inserted between the verb and object part of 唱歌)

她喝得酒多,說話有點含糊 (得 is inserted between the verb and object part of 喝酒)

~

她書讀得多,所以不怕找不到工作 (no separable verb, 書 is the object, 讀 is the verb)

她歌唱得多,聲音也變得好聽了 (no separable verb, 歌 is the object, 唱 is the verb)

她酒喝得多,說話有點含糊 (no separable verb, 酒 is the object, 喝 is the verb)

~

2.are degree adverbs needed?

It is optional

Both 我今天起得早 (I woke up early today) and 我今天起得很早 (I woke up very early today) are legit sentences

• oh I did not make it clear. The 2nd is to ask for degree adverbs in YES/NO question, not the answer: 你今天起得很早/早吗? – Jenny Apr 12 '20 at 1:22
  • BTW, do you have any web sources involving that putting 得 between the separable verb? ("她吃得饭多") – Jenny Apr 12 '20 at 1:24
    optional mean either yes or no. Which mean Not required (but you can) . – Tang Ho Apr 12 '20 at 1:38
  • See more examples of 得 between the separable verb in my edition. – Tang Ho Apr 12 '20 at 2:01
  • In case 得 is inserted between the verb and object, are there any notices? Can this structure apply for ALL separable verbs? – Jenny Apr 12 '20 at 3:12

1.can I say: 她吃饭得很多 ? NO

2.are degree adverbs needed? It can be ignored.

A: 你今天起得很早/早吗?

B: 我今天起得很早。(O) B: 我今天起很早。(O)

• oh I did not make it clear. The 2nd is to ask for degree adverbs in YES/NO question, not the answer: 你今天起得很早/早吗? – Jenny Apr 12 '20 at 1:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.