I learned both of these words recently. I asked a Chinese friend what is the difference, and she told me they are "almost the same". I'm wondering how strong the "almost" is here. How interchangeable are 满意 and 满足?

• intransitive "to be satisfied" or adj vs transitive "to satisfy" – Stumpy Joe Pete Apr 16 at 22:37
  • Which is which? – Dark Malthorp Apr 16 at 22:54
  • 满意 and 满足, in that order – Stumpy Joe Pete Apr 16 at 22:57
  • Thanks. Can 满足 also be used intransitively, and if so what's the difference in meaning from 满意? – Dark Malthorp Apr 16 at 22:59
  • 滿意 is an emotion. 滿足 is for fulfilling/satisfying some criteria. You can't say 滿意 to tick off a checklist, that'd be like saying are your requirements happy/content?. – dROOOze Apr 17 at 1:09

满 = to fulfill; to satisfy

意 = mind; intend; desire; idea

满意 = be satisfied (of a desire); happy with

Example:

希望我們的服務能使你感到满意 = Hope our service can make you feel satisfied (happy/ satisfied in your mind)

我們已經給你最好的服務,還不满意? = We have given you the best service and you are still not satisfied? (unhappy/ not satisfied in your mind)

我們已經給你最好的服務,還不满足? = We have given you the best service and you are still not satisfied? (still want more)

~

足 = enough

满足 = 1. to satisfy (a need) 2. be satisfied (of one's need)

Example:

每小時十五美元的工資無法满足生活需求 = A wage of fifteen dollars per hour cannot satisfy/ meet the cost of living

非法民工有七美元一小時的工資就很满足了 = Illegal migrant workers are satisfied/ content with a salary of seven dollars an hour (a need is satisfied/ don't feel needing more)

非法民工有七美元一小時的工資就很满意了 = Illegal migrant workers are satisfied /happy with a salary of seven dollars an hour (a desire is satisfied/fulfilled)

| improve this answer | |
  • I, for one, am quite content with a wage of 15$/hr, but this does answer my question, thank you :) – Dark Malthorp Apr 17 at 2:31
  • 满足 = content, good suggestion – Tang Ho Apr 17 at 2:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.