The simplification of 報(⿰幸𠬝) to 报(⿰扌𠬝) is slightly peculiar. The particularly intriguing area is in the simplification of the left-hand side, with 幸 being simplified into 扌.

There is another similar instance with 執 being simplified to 执. Another 幸 to 扌simplification.

There must be a method to this madness but it isn't immediately evident in the characters themselves.

Ideas?

I'm struggling to find if this was actually a simplification (cursive abbreviation) rather than a variant choice. Anyway, the full story is 㚔 (handcuffs) corrupted into 幸, rather than starting from 幸. – dROOOze Apr 19 at 11:34

As with many simplified characters, cursive scripts (Caoshu) can be informative.

In "Chuyue tie" by the famous calligrapher Wang Xizhi, 報 is written as follows:

enter image description here

As @dROOOze mentioned in the comment, the radical 幸 came from the character for handcuffs, which could indicate that the use of 扌(手) might related; but I can't find any source for this so far.

| improve this answer | |
  • Nice one! I'm surprised they didn't just simplify it to: 扖 or (⿰扌人). – Mo. Apr 20 at 13:38
  • @user3306356 I wouldn't be surprised if they tried that for 二简字. – zhantongz Apr 20 at 14:15
  • The real tricky part is to find whether or not the Simplification Committee chose it because of the cursive form. (I think 草書 is what it’s based on too, as 執 looks like the same idea in cursive) – dROOOze Apr 20 at 22:19

Simplified Chinese is created with simplicity in mind, and one side effect is that words lose meaning. That's a mass generalization on overall language structures between Simplified and Traditional Chinese.

To put in simple, there isn't a particular reason why 幸 goes into 扌, as 幸(ㄒㄧㄥˋ/Xìng) means luckily (likely referring to 報 as "report, I see it as reporting good/幸 news); and 扌 isn't a word in itself, but an extension of other prefixes.

| improve this answer | |
  • If you look at @zhantongz's answer it would seem that there is a reason: cursive scripts (草書). – Mo. Apr 20 at 13:41
  • ¯_(ツ)_/¯ If he's got a source, I have nothing to say. – SG pro Apr 20 at 13:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.