Google Translate and 查查在线词典 both say 辫发 ought to be biànfǎ, but Baidu says biànfā. What is correct?

• Interestingly, the sound file for iChaCha 查查在线词典 sounds like it corresponds to another variant: biànfà – Michaelyus Apr 20 '20 at 21:16
  • oh good catch, I didn't even listen to it. – Dark Malthorp Apr 20 '20 at 21:17

Depends on region.

This word 辮髮 is quite transparent: 辮 braid + 髮 hair (of the head).

Hence, in standard Taiwan Mandarin, as defined by Ministry of Education there, both characters have a single pronunciation each, and so the word as a whole is pronounced biànfǎ.

On the mainland though, the second one 髮 was defined as being pronounced as fà on its own. This is where 辮髮 is pronounced biànfà; however, I do not see authoritative sources which say this is prescriptively correct, despite it being a common way of pronouncing this on the Mainland.

The character 髮 was merged with 發 fā and underwent character simplification to form 发. As 發/发 fā has become more common, this is where 辮髮 = 辫发 gained its third pronunciation, biànfā, which is the pronunciation on zDic.net.

• I'm pretty sure fā is incorrect and is a computer mistake. Xinhua is almost as precriptive as it gets but I should check Modern Chinese Dictionary to be sure (unfortunately not by my hand though). – xngtng Apr 21 '20 at 0:35

According to Xinhua Zidian, the only admitted standard pronounciation currently for 发 (in Mainland) is

• fā, various meanings e.g. "to send out, to dispatch", "to start", "to grow, to expand", "to open, to reveal, to invent", "to show", "to produce, to happen"; and
  • fà, meaning "hair".

As 发 in 辫发 refers to hair, it should be pronounced biànfà in Mainland China. This is also how I pronounce the word (native speaker).

In Taiwan, as indicated by the other answer, fǎ is correct.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.