http://zhongwen.com/d/164/x74.htm

This character looks like 人 alot.

That website says that it's the character of roots descending into earth

I search for root in mgdb and can't find it.

I search for 入 and I found this https://www.mdbg.net/chinese/dictionary?page=worddict&wdrst=0&wdqtm=0&wdqcham=1&wdqt=ru%0D%0A

What's the difference between 入and人? They look almost the same to me. When inside other pics how do I know which one is which?

Wikipedia has a page Easily confused Chinese characters (there's quite a few of these), and it describes 人 vs. 入 as follows:

• Notes: added hook at top of second character.
  • In some print fonts, characters have symmetric legs, and are easily confused; in handwriting, they are further distinguished by having asymetric legs: 入 has a shorted left leg and looks like λ (lambda), while 人 has a shorter right leg and looks like a backwards λ.

It's fonts that make these two characters difficult to distinguish. Here are animations from the and Wiktionary pages for how to handwrite them:

Their meanings are totally different, so it's also possible to infer the correct character from the surrounding material. E.g. 中国人 ("Chinese person") vs. 收入 ("income").

| improve this answer | |

You can put them side by side on MDBG:

enter image description here

Where is the difference? Have a look:

enter image description here

You can see on the two circled parts that the right side of actually slants a little to the left, where as is generally left is left and right is right.

| improve this answer | |
  • how do you put them side by side? – user4951 Apr 21 at 14:59
  • @user4951 You can click the link I left above in the answer to MDBG and have a look. All I did was put the two characters “入人” into the search bar for query. – Mo. Apr 21 at 17:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.