I have come across this 还-based sentence structure and don't know what it implies. Here is an example:

中文:有人请你玩儿你还不去? 这样的好事我盼还盼不来呢

英语:Somebody invited you over and you're not going?! Such a good offer, I... wouldn't imagine hoping for?

Not sure what V 还 V 不来呢 means. Also, I'm not sure if 来 belongs to the sentence structure, or if it is a separation of 盼来。 All 还 sentence structures I can find involve 还 V or 还 Adj, not a verb on both sides. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Not sure what V 还 V 不来呢 means

盼 = wish for

还 = still

盼(不来) = wish for (and not successfully get)

盼还盼不来 = wished for, but still not successfully get

• To understand the role of 来, please read result complement

• 得 and 不 are the only two potential particles that indicate 'able' or unable'

Example:

做 = to do

做到 (verb with result complement) = to do successfully

做得到 (verb with result complement + positive potential particle) = able to do successfully

做不到 (verb with result complement + negative potential particle) = unable to do successfully

Similarly:

盼 = wish for

盼来 = wish for (and get)

盼得来 = wish for (and able to successfully get)

盼不来 = wish for (and unable to successfully get)

• 还 means "still"

有人 = someone

请你 = invite (and treat) you to

玩儿 = play (to engage in activities that require spending of money)

你 = you

还 = still

不去? = don't go?

| improve this answer | |
  • Ahhh, so it is a rewu – Hashamyim Apr 23 at 2:41
  • Oh, got submitted too soon! So it is a result complement - good to know! Now that you explain it, the meaning is crystal clear - thanks for your time, Tang! – Hashamyim Apr 23 at 2:42

V 还 V 不来呢 can mean out of someone's mind or out of someone's ability.

"有人" = someone

"請" can translate to invite , which means someone think you are capable to do or you are a great candidate.

Under the respondent assessment(feeling), he does not think this way, or respondent think chance just wont happen on himself.

V+还+V 不来 means that you are unable to get/do what you really want.

还 can be replaced by 都 in this sense. 我盼还盼不来呢=我盼都盼不来呢.

E. g. 我(想)要还要不来呢.

In 盼还盼不来, the important grammatical part is V 不来 wherein 不来 indicates a negative potential complement, and specifically the verb V is unfulfilled. This is one example of many possibilities e.g. 吃不完 or 想不出来 or 站不起来 or 写不下. E.g.:

为什么我盼不来宝宝?[src]
Why, when I yearn, does no baby come? [approximate translation]

Similarly, in the given example, 盼不来 means what is being hoped for (as determined by the context) is unfulfilled. E.g.:

我盼还盼不来。
I yearn [for something determined by context], still my yearning is unfulfilled.

Note that ("still") could be replaced by (as in e.g. 盼也盼不来) or (as in e.g. 盼都盼不来; as dan mentions) without changing the meaning (and similar things happen in other grammar structures). The 呢 in the original sentence basically expresses surprise, and it's not so important (arguably more related to a person's speaking style, and dependent on context).

I don't think V 还 V 不来 can be considered a specific grammar structure. Negative potential complements can arise in a lot of ways:

跳舞还跳不赢这位大爷.[src]
[I] dance, [but] still don't beat this show-off.

为什么有些人天天吃饺子还吃不够?[src]
Why do some people eat dumplings everyday, [but] still have not eaten enough?

为什么戴眼镜还看不清?[src]
Why, [despite] wearing glasses, [I] still cannot see clearly?

以前我也很烦妈妈的碎碎念,现在想听也听不到了.[src]
Before I was annoyed at [my] mother's nagging, [but] now I want to hear, [but] still cannot hear.

怎么喝都喝不醉呢?
How to drink and still not get drunk?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.