I know that weekend in Chinese is generally translated as 周末.

Is there a way to say weekend by adding something to 星期 like 星期末? Or the only phrase for weekend is 周末?

Not the answer: Don't ask new question (and answer the question) in comment. It's fine to ask a question if it is a question; despite of it's small or not. :)
    – user4072
    Apr 24 '20 at 10:31
  • Hmm... 天末, 月末, 期末, 季末, 年末, 世纪末 = "end of the [day/month/semester/season/year/century]". (There's even 明末 = "end of the Ming dynasty" etc.) I'd be surprised if 星期末 doesn't similarly mean "end of the week", even if it is uncommon.
    – Becky 李蓓
    Apr 24 '20 at 10:38
    星期末 does indeed mean weekend, it's just incredibly uncommon. I googled it and a cursory look at the stats turns up about 200,000 hits.
    – dROOOze
    Apr 24 '20 at 13:31
    @Becky李蓓 I had never heard 天末 A google search suggests "前天天末" got 0 results, "昨天天末" got 1 result. "今天天末" got 1 result (plus some unrelated results).
    – tsh
    Apr 27 '20 at 1:46

星期X can only refer to a specific day in a week. 星期六=Saturday, 星期日/星期天=Sunday

周末 refers to Saturday and Sunday together, which is the weekend.

• Wouldn't the logic of 星期 = week and 末 = end and therefore, 星期末 = weekend be correct?
    – aymusbond
    Apr 24 '20 at 15:47
    @aymusbond People simply don't say it like that. Languages don't always follow the logic. Although, if you do use 星期末 in a conversation, people would probably understand you using the same logic, but it takes a lot of effort and they would find it weird.
    – trisct
    Apr 24 '20 at 15:59

How about 星期六、日? Weekdays can be combined like 星期一、三、五. It might be an alternative to 周末? Looking forward to other input from members.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.