In English we have the prefix mis- that conveys this. I misread, I misspoke, I made a mistake, etc. A misrepresentation, a mistranslation, a misuse, etc.

• Unless I misinterpret your question, how about 无 非 未 毋 没? – Wayne Cheah Apr 25 '20 at 2:34
  • One more candidate: 误 – tsh Apr 27 '20 at 1:25

For a verb with the prefix mis- you can use 错 (incorrectly, wrongly) to express the same thing.

Examples: I misread - 我看错了(Literally: I read wrongly)

I misspoke - 我说错了(Lit.: I spoke incorrectly)

I made a mistake - 我做错了/我搞错了(Literally: I did it incorrectly)

And for a noun with prefix mis-, one usually use 误 to replace it. While 错 is sometimes also acceptable for nouns, as in the few examples that you gave, I believe that 误 sounds more natural, and in words such as 误解,you cannot replace 误 by 错 at all (错解 is not a word). Note that this is quite subtle, since 错误 as a whole word also simply means "mistake", and 错 and 误 have very similar meanings, but their respective usages are not entirely interchangeable.

Examples:

A mistranslation - 一个误译(“译”=“翻译”=translation)

A misunderstanding - 一个误解(“解”=“理解”=understanding)

A misuse - 一个误用(“用”=“使用”=use)

However, some words cannot be translated this way. For example, "misrepresentation" can only be translated as "歪曲" (which is an entirely figurative translation), but never as "误+something", because Chinese does not have a single character which means "representation“ on its own. (The two-character word ”反映“ means "representation", so one may consider translating "a misrepresentation" as "一个错误的反映". This is acceptable, but not as concise as “歪曲".)

"misrepresentation" can be 误传. – dan Apr 25 '20 at 8:20

misread, misspoke, made a mistake, misrepresentation, mistranslation, misuse

(看錯,說錯,做錯,寫錯或說錯,翻譯錯,用錯)

You can use [action]錯 to describe the situation. Here [action] is the action that is wrong. 他這題寫錯了。(He done wrongly at this exercise). Here 寫錯 can be interpreted as [action]錯. Here [action] is 寫. And 寫 is the action that is done wrongly.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.