I'm trying to understand the etymology for definition 3 (to rebut) below in 駁 - Wiktionary. Yellowbridge:

enter image description here

Han character

(radical 187, +4, 14 strokes, cangjie input 尸火大大 (SFKK), four-corner 74340, composition)

(OC *preːwɢs, “leopard”) is its exopassive derivative, literally meaning, "the spotted one".

Definitions

1. (of a horse's fur) variegated
  2. mixed; heterogenous
  3. to refute; to rebut
  4. to transport by barge
  5. barge
  6. suddenly

I don't understand how 馬 or definition 1 (variegated horse's fur) relates to definition 3. So I looked up 爻 - Wiktionary, but I also don't understand how the I Ching's hexagram relates. I'm too addled to continue!

1. a figure composed of six stacked horizontal lines; a hexagram of the I Ching

Two notes:

• The original meaning of 「爻」 is criss-cross patterns, rather than I-Ching hexagrams;

• 「爻」 provides a phonetic hint to 「駁」.

「駁」 (Baxter-Sagart OC: /*pˤrawk/, patterend/variegated horse fur) is composed of semantic 「馬」 (horse) and phonetic 「爻」 (/*N-kˤraw/). 「爻」 (criss-cross patterns) simultaneously provides a meaning hint.

The semantic extension is as follows:

1. Variegated horse fur

2. Impure/mixed colours and patterns (looking like a jumbled mess)

3. To distinguish, rectify (e.g. in the process of sorting out a jumbled mess, correcting what is chaotic/wrong)

4. To rebut (e.g. to refute falsehoods, denounce wrongdoing)

References:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.