Reading 穩妥's etymology spurred me to read 妥's. I screenshot Yellowbridge. I truly hope this etymology doesn't relate to the inhumane barbarism of foot binding in China!

Translingual

Han character

(radical 38, +4, 7 strokes, cangjie input 月女 (BV), four-corner 20404, composition)

1. satisfactory, appropriate

enter image description here

There are 3 views:

1.At first, it means reassuring a woman with hands, so it also means be stable.-Li Xiaoding

2.At first, it means hold down the woman to let her sit down with a hand, so it also means be stable.("爫" means a hand.)-Xu Zhongshu, Liu Xinglong

3.At first, it means grab a woman by a hand, so it also means capture.("爫" means a hand.)-Wu Qichang, Yu Xingwu, Xu Zaiguo

甲金文从爪(倒手)从「女」,象以手安抚女子之形,引申有安义(李孝定)。 《集韵》:「妥,安也。 或作绥。 」一说「妥」象以手按抑妇女使之坐下,引伸有安定之义(徐中舒、刘兴隆)。 一说「妥」象以手擒拿、抓取女子之形。 本义是俘掠,后作「绥」。 《书. 武成》,肆予东征,绥厥士女。 」师·马报簋:「孚士女羊牛。 」(吴其昌、于省吾、徐在国)。 「妥」与「孚」(「俘」的初文)的造字原理相同。 吴其昌认为甲骨文「男曰孚,女曰妥。 」

——汉语多功能字库,香港中文大学

("妥" in Western Zhou dynasty)enter image description here

• a woman under a roof is 'safe' (安); a woman with a son is 'good' (好); woman is related to evil (奸); – Tang Ho May 4 '20 at 17:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.