I can grasp how卩 (“to kneel”) relates to definitions 1-3 below. But how does 皀 + 卩 compound to mean definitions 4-14 that don't relate to food or kneeling and that all differ from each other? Definitions 5 and 7 are the ones that overlap at all! I screenshot Yellowbridge.
- † to come near to eat
- † to approach; to come near; to be near
- † to ascend; to go up; to assume office
- † prompted by the occasion
- † though; although
- † if; assuming
- † even if; even though
- † then
- † while
- † as soon as
- namely; that is; to be the same as; i.e.
- † promptly; quickly; immediately; at once
- † at present; today
- A surname.