I'm watching the movie "in the heat of the sun" and very often groups of people seem to greet this way: a guy says "古伦木!" and the other one says "欧巴!". Now, I'm trying to figure out if this has some specific meaning in the context of early '70s. I'm not very good at understanding Chinese and I'm watching the movie with english subtitles, and they just don't translate those two expressions, they just leave them as "Gooloomoo" and "Ooba".

• Are you sure it is Chinese? – Tang Ho May 16 at 20:03
  • @TangHo: The whole movie in in Mandarin so I'm assuming these words too are. I've tried to do some research on Google and I think I read something about war password (?) but definitely I'm not sure since I barely understand anything – Baffo rasta May 16 at 20:09

古伦木 and 欧巴 are two characters' name from a traditional Chinese Opera 奇袭白虎团. In the movie "yang guang can lan de ri zi", the director used these two names in his own characters. And these two names are used for a signal when they meet up.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.