While I was studying, I came across this sentence.

如果她不是特别漂亮也没关系。

But I’m confused as to why 是 is there. I thought negation of adjectives should’nt be accompanied by 是. Could someone explain this please? Thank you!

But I’m confused as to why 是 is there. I thought negation of adjectives should’nt be accompanied by 是. Could someone explain this please?

First think the component as 是[other description] where [other description] is true. 是 is used to denote some description is true. Because [other description] is after 是, [other description] is true.

Second think another component as 不[other description] where [other description] is false. 不 is used to denote some description is false. Because [other description] is after 不, [other description] is false.

First point and second point exist independently. Although they exist independently, they can be used together.

Use "first point" first. think 是特別漂亮 as 是[特別漂亮](是[other description], where [other description] is 特別漂亮)(is especially pretty). 是 is used to denote [other description] is true so 特別漂亮(especially pretty) is true. You get that 是特別漂亮 means is especially pretty.

Then use "second point" , think 不是特別漂亮 as 不[是特别漂亮](不[other description], where [other description] is 是特别漂亮) (is not especially pretty). In this example 不 is used to denote [other description] is false so 是特别漂亮(is especially pretty) is false. You get 不是特別漂亮 means "is not especially pretty".

| improve this answer | |

"不是" is a set team for "is not". It doesn't negate the adjective. It is the negative form of the verb "是"(is)

• 她(是) = she (is)

• 她(不是) = she (isn't)

• 她(是)特别漂亮 = she (is) very pretty

• 她(不是)特别漂亮 = she (isn't) very pretty

~

不 = not

When we use 不 alone before an adjective, it modify the adjective by negate it. The subject 她 became the topic, and the negated adjective 不漂亮 became the comment

• 漂亮 = pretty

• 不漂亮 = not pretty

• 她(漂亮) = she, (pretty)

• 她(不漂亮) = she, (not pretty)

• 她(不漂亮但善良) = she, (not pretty, but kind)

• Then is 她是漂亮 wrong but 她是特别漂亮 correct? – Dimen May 20 at 12:56

As a rule of thumb, you can interpret 是 and 不是 as follows:

是 - It is the case that...

不是 - It is not the case that...

"如果她不是特别漂亮也没关系。" - It's OK if it is not the case that she is very pretty.

A: "你不喜欢红酒?”

B: 是。 (No, I don't like - Yes, it is the case that I don't like.)

B1: 不是。(But yes, I do like - No, it is not the case that I don't like.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.