I have the following text:

丁力波的爸爸是加拿大人,妈妈是中国人。汉语是他爸爸,妈妈的 “介绍人”。

What does “介绍人” mean?

Does it make sense?

介绍人 literally mean "introducer/ someone who introduces"

汉语 (Chinese language) is the introducer that introduced 他爸爸 (his father) and 他妈妈 (his mother) to each other

Of course 汉语 is not a person and cannot actually introduce two people to each other, it is a metaphor for 'thing that brings two people together'

Example of a sentence using the literal meaning of 介绍人:

沒有會員作為介绍人不可以入會

Cannot join the club without a club member as your introducer

Someone who introduces you to the other club members is your introducer (介绍人) ; someone who vouches for you is your voucher (保證人)

| improve this answer | |
  • Not to confuse 介绍人 with 媒人婆, (Méirén pó) The latter specifically means "matchmaker", though the former could also be loosely considered a matchmaker but not specifically. – Wayne Cheah Jun 10 at 7:03
  • I prefer the gender-neutral term 媒人" (matchmaker) – Tang Ho Jun 10 at 7:09
  • LOL, I've yet to come across a 媒人公 :) For some inexplicable reason, matchmakers in Chinese socio-cultural history were, (I would stick my neck out and say), exclusively females, more particularly middle-age females. Maybe I see too many period Hong Kong movies. But I suppose it was more socially acceptable for a female to approach the family of the potential bride than a male would be. – Wayne Cheah Jun 10 at 8:08
  • Have you heard of 月老 or 月下老人? It is the term for male matchmaker – Tang Ho Jun 10 at 8:34
  • No, I have not. I learn something new today. Thanks. – Wayne Cheah Jun 10 at 8:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.