I have a license plate from the Heliongijang province. I would like to know what is the last character in this image and how is it pronounced. Also, I have seen many license plates which have this character in the end. So, I would also like to know is this a character that represents the city or is it something else?

enter image description here

• The two characters are 黑 (hēi) and 挂 (guà). Presumably, 黑 is short for 黑龙江 (Hēilóngjiāng). I'm not sure what 挂 means in the context of a license plate. – Becky 李蓓 Jun 10 at 8:20
  • Thanks does gua represent a city/province. – Sparsh Garg Jun 10 at 8:28
  • I don't live in China, but my best guess is that one of the many meanings of 挂 (guà), (ordinarily meaning "to hang"), include "Registered" or 挂号, (Registered Number) So 8173挂 would be "Registered No. 8173"? – Wayne Cheah Jun 10 at 9:22
  • Yes i looked it up gua represents the word suspended.Also bit strange but it seems this would imply that this vehicle has been suspended.In china the vehicle format is as follows: 1)Province 2)Followed by city name 3)Number 4)Vehicle type.It's amazing what an efficient google search can give you.All thanks to becky and wayne. – Sparsh Garg Jun 10 at 9:28
  • thanks for helping me out becky and wayne. – Sparsh Garg Jun 10 at 9:28

挂车 seems to mean a "trailer". Searching for "挂车号牌" brings up images of trailers, most of which have number plates that end in "挂" (see below). My Chinese is not that great but according to this document (page 15, item 5.10), trailer number plates are distinguished using the character "挂".

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.