There isn't a pronunciation for it on Wiktionary, and I don't know whether it is a fossilised or an analysable phrase, so therefore I don't know whether or not right-prominent tone sandhi applies. My guess would be:

/ɦi̯ʊŋ²² v̻əʔ⁵⁵ t͡sa̱ʔ²¹/

if it is a fossilised expression and thus right-prominent tone sandhi doesn't apply. Please tell me if I am correct. Thanks

Here is the entry for 用勿着 in《上海方言词典》on p. 304:

enter image description here

Text:

【用勿着】
ɦyoŋ˨˧꜖ uə?˥꜒ za?˨˧꜒꜔
⇨ ⟦𧟰得⟧ ßiɔ˥꜒ tə?˥꜒꜕

Tone letter to number translation:

ɦyoŋ²³⁻¹¹ uə?⁵⁵⁻⁵⁵ za?²³⁻⁵³

Tone sandhi is usually represented by back-to-back tone letters. So it looks like the corrected tones are:

ɦyoŋ¹¹ uə?⁵⁵ za?⁵³

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I have no idea about Shanghainese tones.

Here's an entry from a second dictionary 上海话大辞典 p. 274

enter image description here

Text:

用勿着 ɦioŋ²² vo?⁵⁵ zᴀ?²¹

• Are the dictionaries you used more reliable than Wiktionary? I might use them. – Cookie Dough Jun 13 '20 at 10:14
  • I always recommend Pleco. They have a lot of dictionaries for sale and a lot of free dictionaries that are quite top-notch. – Mou某 Jun 13 '20 at 11:18
  • I think the first notation with tone sandhi is actually: ɦyoŋ¹¹² uə?⁵⁵ za?⁵³ and it looks like the "original" tones are ɦyoŋ¹³ uə?⁵⁵ za?¹³. – Mou某 Jun 13 '20 at 13:06
  • Does Pleco work with Wu Chinese? – Cookie Dough Jun 13 '20 at 15:39
  • No, not at the moment. You can download those two PDFs I linked above though. – Mou某 Jun 13 '20 at 15:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.