I've just started learning Mandarin and I was curious as to when it is appropriate to answer a yes/no question negatively with 沒有. Obviously, if the question involves 有 then it makes sense. However, I understand that

你在做飯嗎?

could also be answered that way as well.

I also understand that questions about being, such as

你是老師嗎?

should be answered instead with 不是。

Is this a general rule? That is, unless the question is about being or state, is it safe to assume that I can respond with 沒有?

The answer to 你在做飯嗎?is still 是 or 不是 . To answer 有 or 沒有, the question should be 你有做飯嗎?

Example:

• You see your friend washing vegetable, and ask 你在做飯嗎? (are you cooking dinner?) and his answer could be 是 (yes) or 不是 (no)

• A wife came home and saw her husband eating pizza, so she asked 你有做飯嗎?(have you cooked dinner?) the answer could be 有 (I have) or 沒有 (I have not)

If the question is 你做飯嗎? (are you cooking (now)?/do you cook (regularly)? ) then you can answer according to the context.

If you mean 'I am not cooking now' then you would say '不是' (no)

If you mean 'I don't cook = 'I haven't been cooking regularly' then you can answer '沒有' (I have not)

• So, in order to answer with 有 or 沒有, the question should involve 有? – Daniel Walker Jun 16 '20 at 2:32
    yes, stated clearly or implied clearly – Tang Ho Jun 16 '20 at 2:32
    For example, you see your co-worker eating store bought sandwich for lunch everyday, and ask '你做飯嗎?' (do you cook?) He can answer '我不做飯' (I don't cook) or 我沒有做飯 (I did not cook/ I have not been cooking) – Tang Ho Jun 16 '20 at 2:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.