So I am studying this children´s story, and I can´t find a proper grammar explanation.

有一只小鸟真可怜,它在树枝上冷得发抖。

So here I assume 有 indicates the bird´s existence, however in every explanation about 有 grammar I could find they would structure the sentence so that 有 would come after the place and before the subject. (Time/place) + 有 + (subject).

I couldn´t find any grammar that explained this particular kind of compound sentence, nor any other possible explanation. Any ideas?

So here I assume 有 indicates the bird‘s existence

Correct. 有 is frequently used as the equivalent of "there is" in English. The typical construction is

place + 有 + noun

Example: 我家里 (place) 有 (existence) 很多椅子 (subject) -> There's many chairs in my house

Then you can also omit the place to express just generic existence, as in your sentence:

有一只小鸟真可怜 (nowhere in particular) there's a little bird which is really pitiful

This construction can be productively used in story-telling, where the exact location of the subject is not very relevant. Same as in English.

If you add a time complement instead of a location, you get the classical story introduction:

很久以前有一只小鸡~ once upon a time (nowhere in particular) there was a small chicken...

| improve this answer | |
    有一只小鸟真可怜,(there's a little bird which is really pitiful), 有一只很可怜的小鸟 (there's a pitiful /poor little bird ) – Tang Ho Jun 18 at 11:43
  • You are right, I updated my translation! – blackgreen Jun 18 at 13:16

So here I assume 有 indicates the bird´s existence, however in every explanation about 有 grammar I could find they would structure the sentence so that 有 would come after the place and before the subject. (Time/place) + 有 + (subject).

This is probably a textbook sentence pattern, and sure, we can rewrite this sentence into that pattern.

在樹枝上「有」一隻真可憐的小鳥。它冷得發抖。

Up on the tree branches, there is a poor little bird. It's shivering from the cold.

Rather than follow textbook patterns, what if we wanted to say

There is a poor little bird, who is up on the tree branches, shivering from the cold.

Then we would use the sentence you've provided.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.