I need help getting this translated. I think it's a lesser seal or even Hong Shan era. Attempts to translate by myself have failed to match the script.

stone turtle shell carving

turn it upside down:

enter image description here

the middle one is 㞢 (u+37a2), which means “have, exist”

http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf/search.php?word=㞢

the lower one is 屮 (u+5c6e), which is the original of “草” (grass); in context, it means grass or wood

http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf/search.php?word=屮

the top one is not yet identified, most likely is a location related character.

have fun :)

| improve this answer | |
  • I'd tentatively offer 日出屮 > 日出草, on the grounds that, apparently and as far as I can remember, 之止出 are often not distinguished in older forms of the Chinese script (as eg in 武 which was humorously identified as 止戈 in a locus classicus but should probably be understood as 出戈), and 屮 is one half of 艸, modern 草, because, well even my crappy Linux IME here allows me to write 屮 by entering cao. Understand 屮 as 草地 and the sentence writes, in as simple forms as possible, "the sun is rising from the grasslands". – John Frazer Jun 29 at 9:49
  • @john frazer, nice try :) well, “出” in oracle bone, bronze, small seal script are more complicated than “㞢”. humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf/search.php?word=出. “日”, it can’t convince me. actually, the character “西” in bronze script is on my mind (except the internal component) humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf/search.php?word=西 – 水巷孑蠻 Jun 29 at 10:32
  • The image shows a pointy upper end, it is true, but it lacks the crisscrossing lines; I find humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf/search.php?word=日 much closer. Over at humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexis/lexi-mf/search.php?word=㞢: "之 出也。象艸過屮,枝莖益大,有所之。一者,地也。" As shown on zdic.net/hans/俑?q=之, the Shuowen seal character is very close to 㞢 and the humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk source identifies the two that 许深 associated with 出. zdic.net/hans/俑?q=屮 gives "屮 chè 草木刚长出来。 cǎo 古同“草”。", so I still find my reading plausible. – John Frazer Jun 29 at 13:06
  • @JohnFrazer This entire question is basically unanswerable - the text segment is too short and we're not sure of the context. It might not even be Chinese. If I had to give an interpretation, it would be the transcription 白㞢(之)屮. – dROOOze Jul 2 at 12:36
  • Also, consider the interpretation 白(伯?)㞢(有)又(祐). – dROOOze Jul 2 at 12:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.