「賬」is said to be a derivative character (分化字) of「帳」, itself being a derivative character of「張」. The meaning of「帳」is related to tents, screens, or curtains:

《玉篇》帷也,張也,幬也。

「賬」has meanings relating to accounts, bills, and debt, but I don't quite see the connection to「帳」. Outlier outlines the semantic extension like so:

1. (orig.) to pitch a tent
  2. → tent, canopy
  3. ⇒ accounting records (written on cloth of some sort)

However, the jump from 2. and 3. seems a bit big. Is there something missing in between this gap, or a more detailed explanation describing this jump?

Also branching a bit from the above, but is the relation between「帳」and「賬」similar to that of「帖」and「貼」, in the sense that the latter is derived from the former?

Edit: From Taiwan MoE's 異體字字典:

按:此字本為帳幕之義,後亦用為錢項計簿之義,此義或从貝作「賬」。清.翟灝《通俗編.貨財》云:「幃幄曰帳,而計簿亦曰帳者,運籌必在幃幄中也。今市井或造賬字用之,諸字書中皆未見。」

Seems like this briefly touches on this semantic extension, but I'm hoping someone else can verify this, or provide more insight on the topic.

2 Answers 2

簡易六書原則

1. 形聲:

在中國文字中,形聲字的比例最多,「形聲」就是形符和聲符的配合,「形符」表示字的類別;「聲符」則表示字的字音

Both 帳 and 賬 are 形聲字 (Pictophonetic characters)

• 貝 indicates the character is related to 'money/finance'. It is the semantic component of the character 賬

• 巾 indicates the character is related to 'tent/cloth'. It is the semantic component of the character 帳

• 長 is the phonetic component of both 帳 and 賬

張 is a 會意形聲字. [弓 = bow --> bow extends + phonetic 長]

Wang_xiao_ming posted:

按:此字本為帳幕之義,後亦用為錢項計簿之義,此義或从貝作「賬」。清.翟灝《通俗編.貨財》云:「幃幄曰帳,而計簿亦曰帳者,運籌必在幃幄中也。今市井或造賬字用之,諸字書中皆未見。

It said 帳 originally meant 'tents', acquired the meaning of "accounting" later because "運籌必在幃幄中也" meaning: "to calculate war strategy, one must be in a tent" (in the army, close to the battlefield)

Since accounting involves money, the 巾 radical was replaced by the 貝 radical. The meaning of 'account --> (debt)' in '帳' thereafter, was transferred to '賬'.

'今市井或造賬字用之,諸字書中皆未見' However, at the beginning, 賬 was considered a made-up word by the general public, not listed in any reference book.

• Many sources seem to be in agreement that「賬」is a later invention as an unorthodox form (俗字) of「帳」when having to do with accounting. From Taiwan MoE's Dictionary of Variant Characters: 按:此字本為帳幕之義,後亦用為錢項計簿之義,此義或从貝作「賬」。清.翟灝《通俗編.貨財》云:「幃幄曰帳,而計簿亦曰帳者,運籌必在幃幄中也。今市井或造賬字用之,諸字書中皆未見。」. Do you have anything that suggests the two characters aren't related? Jul 7, 2020 at 22:03
  • @wang_xiao_ming Thanks for the quote, I will edit my answer
    – Tang Ho
    Jul 7, 2020 at 23:27

賬 is a traditional character, its simplfied character is 账.
look its structural part:贝(or 貝), it is related to money. So I can say a word: 账本, equals to account book. Ok then, 帐, its structural part is 巾, we can simply conclude that it is related to textile. For example: 蚊帐, equals to mosquito net.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.