I wanted to express in Mandarin:

Three months ago I started yoga classes.

I thought about whether to use 前 or 以前 to express "ago":

三个月以前我开始了上瑜伽课。

Sān gè yuè yǐqián wǒ kāishǐ le shàng yújiā kè.

三个月我开始了上瑜伽课。

Sān gè yuè qián wǒ kāishǐ le shàng yújiā kè.

Is there a difference between both sentences? Is there a preference between 前 or 以前? If that is the case, what are the general rules behind?

I would say the more important difference is the one between 以前 and 之前。The difference between 以前 and 前 follows from it.

(Bonus 1: to do yoga is better rendered with 练瑜伽)

(Bonus 2: to me, the sentence sounds better with a modal 了, as 开始 semantics inherently convey a change. native speakers might expand on this)

之前 expresses anteriority in time relative to something else. It can be used when describing event sequences in a time different than the present. It can be translated in English with "earlier, prior to".

三个月之前我开始练瑜伽(了)

Three months earlier, I (had) started doing yoga (relative to another given time)

以前 expresses anteriority relative to the present. It can be translated with "ago".

三个月以前我开始练瑜伽(了)

Three months ago, I started doing yoga (relative to the current time)

Though this distinction is quite faint. It's possible to find 之前 used just like 以前, and vice versa.

Now 前 alone could be an abbreviation of either of those, so its actual meaning is dependant on the context. Generally speaking, I would say there is no appreciable difference between 前 and 以前, except maybe that the former appears more frequently in writing.

A quick Google search:

site: xinhua.net "一个月前" yields ~7000 results

site: xinhua.net "一个月以前" yields ~3000 results

This is empirically true also for other combinations. Another example:

site: xinhua.net "一年前" yields ~65k results

site: xinhua.net "一年以前" yields ~3300 results

• But isn't the action of "started attending a yoga class" completed?
    – Puco4
    Jul 20 '20 at 20:09
    in this sentence, the focus tends to be on the change/beginning of something, which is also inherent in the semantics of 开始, so the modal 了 (change) is more appropriate than the aspect 了 (completeness of an action).
    – blackgreen
    Jul 20 '20 at 20:13
  • Ok! So both the aspect 了 and the modal 了 can be omitted? If we included the modal 了, it would just emphasize the change of state?
    – Puco4
    Jul 20 '20 at 20:22
    I would say the sentence is passable without modal 了 and should be without aspect 了。Also, let me point out that "to do yoga" is 练瑜伽
    – blackgreen
    Jul 20 '20 at 20:28

I think 以前 can be used as a word on its own and only refers to some unspecified time in the past, whereas 前 needs an accompanying phrase like 几天/几年 and has meanings not always associated with time.

Three months ago I started yoga classes.
我三个月前开始上瑜伽课。
三个月前我开始上瑜伽课。
Not so nice without a time:
*前我开始上瑜伽课。

前几天我碰到你丈夫了。
I ran into your hubby a few days ago.

以前我碰到过你丈夫。
I met your hubby before.

There isn't any essential difference between your two sentences. 前 or 以前 wouldn't affect the meaning.

However, the position of 了 can be improved. E. g.

三个月以前我开始上了瑜伽课

三个月前我开始上了瑜伽课

or

三个月以前我开始上瑜伽课了

三个月前我开始上瑜伽课了

You can also put 三个月以前 in the middle(after the subject 我):

我三个月以前开始上了瑜伽课。

If you want to be more factual, you can put:

我三个月前开始上的瑜伽课。

• What's that 的 doing in your last sentence?
    – Pedroski
    Jul 21 '20 at 1:18
  • @Pedroski I just noticed recently that this use of 的 is not recognized by many people. In my example, you can take it as the 是. .. 的. ... structure with 是 being omitted. like 我是三个月前开始上的瑜伽课。
    – dan
    Jul 21 '20 at 2:29
  • Why is it better to write 了 after 上 instead of after 开始? I thought the action that is completed is "to start [attending class]" but not "attending class", which still is currently happening.
    – Puco4
    Jul 21 '20 at 8:17
    @Puco4 We take 开始xxx as a whole to mean "to start to do something". E. g. 开始玩皮球。 We don't usually seperate it.
    – dan
    Jul 21 '20 at 9:40

三个月以前我开始了上瑜伽课

三个月我开始了上瑜伽课

三个月之前我开始了上瑜伽课

these three sentences have the same meaning.

三个月以前我开始了上瑜伽课 => 三个月以前我开始上瑜伽课了 or 三个月以前我开始了瑜伽课 is more fluent.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.