The most common translation of '户口' seems to be 'household registration system'. The other meanings do not fit either:

https://www.mdbg.net/chinese/dictionary?page=worddict&wdrst=0&wdqb=%E6%88%B7%E5%8F%A3

What is it a reference to?

The main character's name is 刘启

Break his first name 「启」 apart, and you'll get 「戶口」. That's how his nickname came about.

The character 启 contains the meaning of "enlighten". It has nothing to do with 戶口 (household).

It only works in simplified Chinese, The Traditional characters for 刘启 are 劉啟

• Nope. 启 is also a traditional character, even in Shuowen — and it's the original glyph for 啟. – Stan Jul 27 '20 at 4:20
  • The traditional Chinese subtitle in the movies stated the main character's name is 劉啟, not 劉启. In any case, 启 is treated as the simplified version of 啟 by Google, while Wiki stated 啟 as the 傳統字 of 启. I have never seen a modern name using 启 instead of 啟, It is very possible that even 启 was a traditional character, it had been replaced by 啟 and become archaic – Tang Ho Jul 27 '20 at 4:32
    The simplification of 啟 to 启 might have rendered 启 obsolete and be forgotten in day to day usage, – Tang Ho Jul 27 '20 at 4:46
    @Stan I wouldn’t say 启 is the original glyph for 啟, the original glyph in oracle bone is 戶又 stuck together with 启 being a variation. Still, the Simplified version is extremely old. – dROOOze Jul 27 '20 at 9:21
    @dROOOze you're right. I oversimplified my point. Combinations 戶口,戶又,戶又口,戶又日,戶又口日 existed in oracle bone as variants to each other. – Stan Jul 28 '20 at 7:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.