From a news article 中国市场不能丢!苹果在华销量暴增225%,iPhone12或支持北斗导航 (10 August 2020), we typically see 显示 meaning "indicate":

有统计数据显示,……

……,苹果中国官网介绍显示,……

7月底苹果公布的第三财季的财报显示,……

In fact, I've become accustomed to seeing this 显示 sentence structure in news articles in general. Thus I was a bit surprised by ("to state") in the following:

消息,苹果已经开始对该系列手机的性能进行调试,包括对北斗导航的兼容性和测试。据悉,在此次发布会结束之后,苹果将在官网上明确新机对北斗的支持,以避免受到用户的吐槽。

I feel like there is a difference between 显示 and 称 here, but I don't know what it is. It's possible it's a grammar point I'm missing, or that there is a technical difference indicating something unverifiable (akin to when English news uses the word "allegedly").

Question: Why is 称 used instead of 显示 in the above sentence?

显示 = indicate

消息显示 - The announcer observes the information that's available and provides a report to the audience

The source of the information may or may not have provided the material directly to the announcer

称 = announce/ claim

消息称 - The announcer directly relays the announcement or claim from the source of information to the audience

The source of the information has made the announcement/ claim itself

Also:

证据显示 - evidence indicates (evidence doesn't make claim)

发言人称 - the speaker claims (speaker announces, not indicates an announcement)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.