I have been practicing Chinese by writing essays in Chinese. I am starting one on my cooking routines. While I know many food terms, I have never expressed anything beyond basic with respect to food.

I want to say something along the lines of 'I cooked rice with tomato, brocolli, carrots, and peppers.

Would this suffice? 我用番茄,西兰花,胡萝卜和辣椒煮饭。

I want to make it clear that I put these ingredients together and cooked them.

I feel like 加 would not get the point that all of the things were cooked together.

I am also wondering if I could say, 我跟西兰花,胡萝卜,辣椒,番茄煮饭。

Edit:

Clarification by the OP

I place all the vegetables in a pot with rice and cook them. I think 加 would indicate I add them in after cooking the rice

In this case, 煮饭 means 'cook rice', 加 would mean you add them into the raw rice when you cook them

The sentence would be

我煮饭時会把番茄,西兰花,胡萝卜和辣椒加在米中一起煮 (when I cook rice, I would add tomato, broccoli, carrot, and pepper into the raw rice)

or

我会把番茄,西兰花,胡萝卜和辣椒加在煮好的饭中一起再煮 (I would add tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, and peppers into the cooked rice and cook them together

Previous answer before the Clarification:

'煮饭' means 'to cook' in general (饭 here refer to 'meal' ).

Note:

煮饭 (to cook) sounds Cantonese. In Mandarin, the common word for 'to cook' is 做飯 (cook meal) or 做菜(cook dish), and 煮饭 would just mean 'cook rice' The reason I presume by 煮饭 you meant 'to cook' because it is wired to add those things in streamed rice

If you meant you are using these ingredients to cook a dish. The correct verb phrase is:

我用番茄,西兰花,胡萝卜和辣椒(来煮这道菜) = I use tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, and peppers (to cook this dish)

or

(这道菜的材料是)番茄,西兰花,胡萝卜和辣椒 = (the ingredients of this dish are) tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, and peppers

我跟西兰花,胡萝卜,辣椒,番茄煮饭

It means "我 (and) 胡萝卜,辣椒,番茄煮饭 cook together" (胡萝卜,辣椒,番茄 can't cook). It is nonsensical

To be more precise.

我會用番茄,西兰花,胡萝卜和辣椒来煮这道菜 (I will cook this dish with tomatoes, broccoli, carrots and peppers)

or

我用了番茄,西兰花,胡萝卜和辣椒来煮这道菜 (I used tomatoes, broccoli, carrots, and peppers to cook this dish)

• This is extremely useful. Using 跟 did not seem correct, but I wanted to ensure that 跟 would not function this way. I have one follow up question. What is the purpose of 来 before 煮? I know 来 is used in directional complements, but I am not sure if this is how it is being used here.
    – Xenon
    Aug 23 '20 at 7:22
  • 来 = 'to' when it is followed by a verb, e.g. 用言語[来]殺人 = use words [to] kill
    – Tang Ho
    Aug 23 '20 at 7:25
  • Perhaps the ingredients are being directed toward the act of cooking?
    – Xenon
    Aug 23 '20 at 7:27
  • I wish I was on my other account so I could upvote this. Nevertheless, thank you for your careful and well-written response. I see how 来 is being used here. I also found an article detailing this structure you just explained: resources.allsetlearning.com/chinese/grammar/…
    – Xenon
    Aug 23 '20 at 7:32
  • 我用番茄,西兰花,胡萝卜和辣椒煮饭 would mean you use them regularly as a tool . Similar to 我用鐵鍋煮饭 ( I use an iron wok to cook)
    – Tang Ho
    Aug 23 '20 at 7:32

I'd probably put:

我煮饭时会(往米饭里面)放番茄,西兰花,胡萝卜和辣椒。

加 is fine too if what you cook is a type of 饭, not 菜.

In Chinese, if the main ingredient is rice, it's called xxx饭 such as 卤肉饭,菠萝饭,etc. Otherwise, it's called 菜.

If you want to express that you mixed up every thing including steamed rice, you can say:

做"name of your dish" 时(or 我这种饭的做法是),我会把番茄,西兰花,胡萝卜,辣椒和煮好的米饭放在锅里一块煮。

• Comments are not for extended discussion; this conversation has been moved to chat.
    – Tang Ho
    Aug 23 '20 at 8:58
  • @TangHo so you would boil the vegetables with the rice?
    – Xenon
    Aug 23 '20 at 9:01
  • @Michael Ramage. Go to Chat if you want cooking lessons. Aug 23 '20 at 9:03
  • Chinese stack exchange is a magical place
    – Xenon
    Aug 23 '20 at 9:04
  • Yes, the magicians, AKA, Diamond Moderators are the Masters of this Universe. Aug 23 '20 at 9:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.