ABC Chinese–English Comprehensive Dictionary (2003). I can't access the "slightly revised through July 2005" ed. p 253.

enter image description here

enter image description here

1. I understand copulas for English, but not for Chinese here. Anyways, let's focus on the negatory meanings of and Disregard their unique (like 5-7 for both entries above). 非 and 不 can both mean "not". So how do they differ?

2. Is 非 - Wiktionary correct? CUHK doesn't mention 惟. Wiktionary avouches that

(OC *pɯj) is the fusion of the negation particle (OC *pɯ, *pɯʔ, *pɯ', “not”) and the copula (OC *ɢʷi, “to be”), attested in oracle bone inscriptions.

1. If so, please see this question's title.
    Hi AYX please can you clarify what you are asking? It seems you're asking about the difference btw 非 and 不 but I don't understand what you mean with the copula 惟 – blackgreen Sep 17 at 19:05
  • @blackgreen Hi! Of course! Sorry for not clarifying "the copula 惟". – NNOX Apps Sep 29 at 19:11

Contrary to general perception, there is a huge difference between 非 and 不。 I am not referring to/talking about this one; I don't want this term; I am not pointing to this one: 非, implying this is the wrong term。 I am negating this one:不, implying total rejection。 In other words, in most of the cases, you just can't use one to replace another. 子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐?--> 子"不"鱼,焉知鱼之乐? However, I don't understand why 惟 (mostly using 唯 now) is dragged into this, as it means "only" as 惟民惟止 is the only consideration for all politicians.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.