Hello I start learning Chinese since not long, after I fell in love with the Expanse book series. (Chinese explorers are one of the first to colonise Mars planet).

I studied that 在 and 着 are particles for describing the action is in progress, happening continuously.

For example:

我在开车 "I'm driving"

我坐着吃饭 "I eat sitting" (maybe I eat while sitting?)

I also studied that the negation 没 makes some particles disappear, for example 了 and 着, but not 在.

我吃了饭 -> 我没吃饭

我吃着饭 -> 我没吃饭 (same as above!)

我在吃饭 -> 我没在吃饭

My question: if 在 and 着 are for action in progress, why the negation 没 must remove 着 and not 在?

And how do native speakers know the difference in 我没吃饭, how do you know without negation if it is 我吃了饭 or 我吃着饭?

Thank you very much!

• 我吃了飯 is past sentence which means I have eaten. 我吃著飯 means I am eating. Aug 30 '20 at 1:03
  • 沒 and 著 can work together. e.g. 我沒看著他. 我沒坐著吃飯. 我沒聽著歌做事. 他沒拿著筷子怎麼吃火鍋? Aug 30 '20 at 1:14

The negation for 我吃着饭 should be 我没在吃饭 or 我不在吃饭, not 我没吃饭. You should change 着 to 在 when you turn the sentence to a negative one.

With this clarified, I think your confusion can be removed. Otherwise, let me know.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.