I have been playing a farming game these days and I joined a Chinese neighborhood in the game. There’s a chatting room feature that allows members of the neighborhood to chat with one another.

I don’t know if my understanding is correct but I feel like some people change 是 into 的 when they talk. Examples:

A: 大家都做就能进三甲, B: 不一定, 冠军的很难得

Shouldn’t it be something like “冠军是难的?”

There’s a female member that tried to be friendly and sent the kissing emoji (😘) to other member in my neighborhood but turned out it was a guy she did this to and the guy replied with: ”亲嘛, 我的男生”

Shouldn’t it be “我是男生”?

Of course, I might misunderstand what they said due to my low level Chinese. But if my understanding is correct, do 的…得 equal 是…的 and 的 equal 是 in this case?

It is hard to tell without more context and a better understanding of the game (and the events in the game). But in general, 是 cannot be changed into 的. – fefe Aug 31 at 10:25
  • I heard sentences like your example 我的男生 from native speakers in colloquial settings, so it doesn't sound totally foreign to me, however I can't pinpoint a pattern. In general, I agree with fefe, 是 and 的 are never interchangeable. – blackgreen Aug 31 at 12:39

These 2 sentences are not grammatically correct. Instead, they should be: 不一定,冠军(是)很难得(的)。 and 我是男生。

They look more like typing errors to me, since 's' and 'd' are quite close on the keyboard. You should never find people replace 是 with 的 in formal cases.

| improve this answer | |

难得 and 难的 have totally different meaning...

难的, or 困难的 means "hard":

想要当冠军很难的:Want to be a champion is hard.

难得 means "hard to get/see" or "rare to happen":

难得看到他吃水果:it's rare to see him eat fruits.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.