despite's "prepositional sense "notwithstanding" (early 15c.) is short for in despite of "in defiance or contempt of" (c. 1300), a loan-translation of Anglo-French en despit de "in contempt of."".

Cambridge English-Chinese Dictionary synonymizes "despite", before translating it". I understand how 管 means "influence".

without taking any notice of or being influenced by; not prevented by
不管;儘管;無論

Collins skips the intermediate step. p 317, ABC Chinese–English Comprehensive Dictionary (2003). I can't access the "slightly revised through July 2005" ed.

enter image description here

p 451, op. cit.

enter image description here

But what does 儘 signify here? What semantic notions underlie 儘 and "despite"?

One of the meanings of is no matter (任凭,纵使),

《左传·文十四年》:公子商人,其家贷於公。
《礼·曲礼》:虚坐尽后,食坐前。俗作尽。

So 儘 + 管 could be translated (literally) to no matter what the influence is

I'm just a native speaker, not a profession. I don't have an answer here, but I may share some of my thoughts that might be helpful.

In the second image, do notice it is not (however both characters simplify to , making has 2 pronunciations(jǐn and jìn)

And in 儘管 it (only) pronounces jǐn

It shall be notice that compounding Chinese characters to words doesn't simplify compound their meanings.

Traditionally, I mean in Classical Chinese, already means despite. However the meaning of it twisted slightly (in most cases it means to the greatest extent and always)

The same thing goes with 雖然 and 但是. If you split the characters and find out each of their meanings, you would find that and literally mean the same.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.