I have heard 意大利 read 意太利, as a sort of half-joke half-honest pronunciation. This is funny because some dialects do read 大 as /t‘ai/ (think: Gan, Hakka, Min Nan, etc.).

《现代汉语方言音库 • 成都话音档》also has an entry showing:

大 t‘ai⁵³ (白读音) 又ta²¹³

Some compound words with 大 can even be read /t‘ai/.

It dawned on me, though, that the /t‘/ pronunciation does seem to match the Western pronunciation of Italy much closer than, what we might call, the initial D sound (/t/) in 大.

It's true, this could be another Holmes (福尔摩斯) translation - transliteration via topolect. I haven't been able to find much information on the Chinese origin of the word Italy though.

Does 意大利 ever get read as 意太利?

No.............
    – fefe
    Sep 10 '20 at 10:05
    Actually the unaspirated voiceless plosive of 大 in Mandarin is closer to the original Italian (all varieties) than both the aspirated 太 in Mandarin and the aspirated "t" of most accents in English.
    – Michaelyus
    Sep 10 '20 at 11:01
  • A funny version is "一 大 粒" Sep 10 '20 at 11:47
  • not in Cantonese, 意太利 is not a thing
    – Tang Ho
    Sep 10 '20 at 14:23

Yes. And sometimes, for an ironic/sarcastic vibe (not necessarily negative) and under a very informal situation, people would write 意呆利/意呆梨. As the transliteration comes mainly from English,where in the Italy the æ vowel doesn't exist in Chinese pronunciation, and 太 seems to be closer to the English word Italy.

And again, in formal, even the slightest sense, it is only correct and proper to use 意大利。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.