ABC Chinese–English Comprehensive Dictionary (2003). I can't access the "slightly revised through July 2005" ed.

enter image description here

1. The 搭 in 搭訕 doesn't make sense to me. 搭 doesn't mean 'strike up' or 'reply'.

2. What exactly does 訕 mean? The embarrassing context?

From Zdic (汉典), has also the meaning of "to come into contact, to meet":

1. 交接,配合:~配。~伙。~档。~售。~伴。~帮。~腔。~话。~界。~讪

The last one in the above entry is exactly the example of 搭讪.

The same dictionary provides an entry for 讪 (but also MDGB does), where it's shown that 讪 alone means "to mock, to ridicule".

So 搭讪 together is somewhat an extension of the two meanings of 搭 and 讪, like to meet a mocking (meet = counter). MDGB again gives "to end an embarrassing silence by striking up a conversation", and Zdic "勉强找话说以消除尴尬".

PS: I vividly suggest you include Zdic in your preferred vocabulary sources. Even though the interface is in Chinese, you can easily copy-paste characters in the search bar and get decent results.

PS 2: I'm not sure why you think that words composed of 2+ characters must absolutely reflect preexisting meanings of the single characters. Languages can be productive.

Thanks. "I'm not sure why you think that words composed of 2+ characters must absolutely reflect preexisting meanings of the single characters. Languages can be productive." I don't think this. You're correct. I just have difficulty with semantic shifts. – NNOX Apps Sep 13 '20 at 21:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.