Cambridge translates 'even' as 即使, as can be substantiated on ZDIC.net. But what semantic notions underlie 即, 使 with "even"?

ABC Chinese–English Comprehensive Dictionary (2003). I can't access the "slightly revised through July 2005" ed.

enter image description here

• 即 2 “assume" alone means "even if". 即使、即便、即或 means the same: "even if/though" – River yesterday
  • The basic meaning of 即 is instant(ly). It makes sense when combine with 使 as above: ask people to do it right now - implying "still not going to work". Hence "even" or "even though" is it's function. in 即便 即或: 即 also means "on the spot". Use the convenience/alternate on the spot" -> you still will fail. – James Liu 刘老师 yesterday
  • = assume

• 使 = make it

• 即使 = assumedly make it (literal meaning)

• [即使 ... 也] = [assumedly make it .... still ]

Apply the logic in the following sentence:

1. 有錢不賣 = have money, not sell

2. 有錢(也)不賣 = have money (still) not sell -- 也 is implied

3. (即使)有錢也不賣 - (assumedly make it that) you have money, I still won't sell -- 即使 is implied

4. 即使有錢不賣 = even you have money. I still won't sell it to you

"即使" literally means "supposedly make it". The practical meaning of 即使 (even), is extended from the [即使... 也] structure

Similarly:

就算 = just count as (literal meaning) --> 就算有錢也不賣 (just count it as you have money, I still won't sell it to you) = (even you have money, I still won't sell it to you)

縱使 = allow to make it (literal meaning) --> 縱使有錢也不賣 (allow to make it that you have money, I still won't sell it to you) = (even you have money, I still won't sell it to you)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.