This page on "ChinaKnowledge" as well as Pulleyblank's Middle Chinese (published 1984, p.86) say that such rhymes were placed in grade 3 hekou (合口三等) in the standard rhyme tables. However certain rhyme groups like 缶/否 are kaikou (開口) in the Yunjing, even though Pulleyblank considers them to be an "f" sound (p.89).

Is there any logic to how they are split between kaikou/hekou?

• Ima keep it 💯 with ya chief, I aint understood a word you just said – 小奥利奥 Sep 18 '20 at 5:52
  • @小奥利奥 If you're interested you could look through this page on the: Rime table. – Mou某 Sep 18 '20 at 6:47
  • Baxter’s A Handbook of Old Chinese Phonology, pp. 62-63 probably has answer. He describes that labial-initial syllables (exactly 非敷奉微) have no contrast between finals with -w- and without (there are no pon <> pwon). Hence, the compilers of rhyme tables have freedom to put them to whichever class they want. – Alexander Z. Sep 18 '20 at 7:57
  • Where did you get 韵镜? I never encounter this term in my life and I am 71 years old. – James Liu 刘老师 Sep 19 '20 at 13:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.