I need a translation for the phrase as a whole not two words separately.

I need it in common Chinese if that’s a thing, but I mean the most general simple Chinese there is.

Can you first give the English meaning of the phrase, because "go places" can mean a lot of different things? – River Sep 18 at 21:01
  • It's go place"s", not place. If already happened: 经验老道 or 见过世面。If not yet happen 各处看看 or 走偏天下, based on the denotation of the phrase. But River is right: you do need to clarify the context. – James Liu 刘老师 Sep 18 at 22:13
  • Don't think "go places" has anything to do with travelling. :) – monalisa Sep 19 at 0:13
  • Obviously 'go places' = 去地方 is a literal interpretation of an idiomatic expression – Tang Ho Sep 19 at 0:16
  • Hi guys, maybe I haven't made it clear enough. What I meant by to "go places" is to succeed. But the thing is I was hoping to find a phrase that says that in Chinese, not just the word 'succeed'. Hope it's clearer now. Thank you. Cheers. – Jasmine El-Tagi Sep 19 at 22:43

If you're looking for a four-character chengyu (成語) I would offer "出人頭地" - to become head and shoulders above the rest.

She's a smart kid; one day she will go places.

她資質聰穎,有一天會出人頭地的。

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks a million! This is perfect! Cheers! – Jasmine El-Tagi Sep 19 at 22:47

Cambridge Dictionary: Go places: to be likely to be successful in the future:

It is "有好前途/ 有前途 " (have a great future) in Chinese

Example:

如果你想有好前途,你需要跟随我 - If you want to go places (have a great future), you need to follow me

這傢伙終有一天會有好前途 - This guy will go places (have a great future) someday

You can also use 前途光明 (have a bright future)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.