Context: my Chinese course uses a series of books (called 'Integrated Chinese') in which the following are among the most commonly used names:

• 王朋
  • 李友
  • 高文中
  • 白英愛

It makes me wonder how common these names are in real life? Thanks for clarifying!

• I saw those names frequently when I first began learning but I've never read that book. I think maybe those names are from the HSK word list Sep 20 '20 at 14:04
  • The HSK lists don't have any names of people in them.
    – Olle Linge
    Sep 20 '20 at 18:46
  • In that case I don't know what I was doing that those names kept showing up in but I've never seen that book Sep 20 '20 at 21:16
    I don't actually know, but they combine extremely common family names with characters that beginners learn very early, so they are, in a sense, the easiest names you can think of. When I create learning materials for beginners, I do the same thing. I start with family names that are common and are useful for some reason, then create personal names with characters they need to learn anyway. I would guess (conjecture) that this is what the authors of the textbook did as well.
    – Olle Linge
    Sep 21 '20 at 16:06

As a chinese,I have never seen these chinese names in real life . The common names in china are 张伟,李明,王伟,李伟,张敏 et enter image description here

王朋 and 李友 sounds like 'Tom' and 'Joe' in English.

高文中 is not as common as the two above.

白英愛 sounds like a Korean name to me, very fashionable, There is a Korean pop star called 李英爱, as I know Chinese people do not tend to use 爱 in their name in old tradition.

王朋: super common name

李友: sounds like a regular name, but I never see this given name in real life

高文中: a regular name. 文 is a very common character to put in the middle

白英愛: 爱英 is a very common girl's given name. 英 means flower here. 英爱 could be its less common alteration.

Give you some statistics:

王朋:20373人
李友:46353人
高文中:96人
李文中: 635人
白英愛:5人
白爱英:76人
李爱英: 2089人

You can use 同名同姓查询 to get an idea of how often a name is used. It is not accurate but can give you some ideas. Some times you may want to change the family name to 李 (or another super big family name) to detect the frequency of a given name.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.