What are the different options for using colors predicatively? Particularly monosyllabic colors like 红, 蓝, 黃 that can appear with or without 色.

For context, here is a sentence using 红色 predicatively taken from a random Wikipedia article.

你   的    汽车     是不是         红色        的?
ni3  de0  qi4che1  shi4bu2shi4   hong2se4   de0
you  DE   car      COP-not-COP   red        DE
Is your car red?

The declarative form of this sentence is

你   的    汽车      是        红色        的.
ni3  de0  qi4che1   shi4     hong2se4    de0.

However, 红 is a verb by itself (unlike 咖啡色).

Is it possible to use 红 as the predicate of that sentence without the 是...的 construction? What are the different ways to use a short color as a predicate?

I can think of a few potential ways to do it, but none of them seem to work.

A) ?你    的   汽车     红
   ?ni3  de0  qi4che1  hong2 

(A) seems weird because the predicate is only one syllable. I think it breaks a Mandarin prosodic constraint.

B) ?你    的   汽车      很     红
   ?ni3   de0 qi4che1   hen3  hong2

(B) also seems odd, but I can't really say why.

C) ?你    的   汽车      红色
   ?ni3   de0 qi4che1  hong2se4.

(C) seems strange. I'm pretty sure 红色 is a noun and therefore cannot form a predicate by itself.

This question is similar to this one, but is not a duplicate of it because it's specifically about what things are allowed or disallowed in predicate position and why.

1, “Adj 不 Adj?” is just a short form for "是不是 Adj 的?"

For example, I drink a lot of wine and want to know if my face turns red, so I ask my friend.

Q: "我的脸红不红?" A: "你的脸很红。"

2, "adj 吗" is an even shorter form.

Q: "我的脸红吗?" A:“你的脸很红。”

3, 红 can also be a verb but that means "turns red", there must be a transition.

Q: "我的脸红没红?" A: "你的脸红了。"

Ref: zdict 紅〈动〉(1)

• Thank you. Is (B) in my example "...很红。" grammatical? Does "...很红。" need context such as answering a question or making a comparison? Sep 21 '20 at 0:05
  • @GregoryNisbet I am a little bit confused by the leading question mark in A~C because your A ~ C looks like declarative forms. A and C are not correct, but B is grammatical. Here "很" is not compression and does not need context. 很 means "very" or “really” it is used to confirm the degree of red.
    – River
    Sep 21 '20 at 0:59
  • I used a leading question mark ? ... to show that I think the sentence is ungrammatical, sounds strange, or changes the meaning of "你的汽车是红色的". I guessed that (A) is wrong because the predicate is only one syllable. I guessed that (C) is wrong because "...色" must be a noun and can't form a predicate by itself. With (B) I wasn't sure whether adding "很" changes the meaning or not. Sep 21 '20 at 1:37
  • I laid out my question in a confusing way. What are the different options for using colors predicatively? Particularly monosyllabic colors like 红, 蓝, 黃 that can appear with or without 色 is the real question. The rest of the question is just an example and my attempt to come up with an alternative to ...是红色的. Sep 21 '20 at 1:46
  • @GregoryNisbet That is clear now. Actually, the question form of A, "你的汽车红吗?", is correct. I also added that to my answer.
    – River
    Sep 21 '20 at 1:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.