The word '蒙古' seems to be read as 'měng gu'. But when I listen to others, it seems to be pronounced 'méng gu'. Which is the correct one? And I found it hard to tell the difference between 'měng gu' and 'méng gu'. Is it because the word itself or some pronunciation mistake?

The Pinyin for 蒙古 is written like this in ABC:

Mẹ̌nggǔ

Notice the dot under the letter E, this is an indicator that this word is read with tone sandhi. The tone sandhi rules dictate that meng3 gu3 be read:

meng2 gu3 (méng gǔ)

Another factor that may add to your confusion is the fact that the standard pronunciation in Taiwanese Mandarin is different. For instance, if you check MoE's entry for 蒙古族 the pinyin for 蒙 is clearly written as:

méng

蒙 is never read měng in TW.

| improve this answer | |
  • The rule is not so simple as 姐姐,狗狗 doesn't follow the 33->23 rule. – joehua Sep 24 at 12:36
  • Technically speaking, 半上声 is different from 阳平, even though most native speaker won't tell the difference. I guess the rule is applicable to any non-叠词. – River Sep 24 at 15:25
  • I don't see what 姐姐 and 狗狗 have to do with the question, those behave more like neutral tones. Indeed, 姐姐 is listed as such in 现代汉语词典. They certainly don't behave like regular 3+3 and can be treated as exceptions. 蒙古 is not among the exceptions and behaves normally. – Olle Linge Sep 24 at 15:32
  • Come to think about it, I don't know one single example in which 蒙 is pronounced as meng3. I have always pronounced it as meng2. I can't think of an exception. – joehua Sep 25 at 3:42
  • @joehua How about: 蒙族? – Mo. Sep 25 at 8:53

如果“蒙”代表蒙古的时候就读 meng3.例如蒙牛,蒙古,蒙。作家王蒙的蒙也是 meng3.

If "蒙" represents Mongolia (n), then it is read as meng3

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.